Fitz Park Bowling Club
  • Home
  • About
  • Gallery
  • Events
  • Match Reports
  • ARCHIVE
Fitz Park Bowling Club was established in 1882 in the beautiful park setting in Keswick, Cumbria.
See the bottom of this page for a more complete history of the club.
Contact Telephone Number: 01768 773530
Picture
Fitz Park Bowling Club Officers 2026

President:  Cliff Harding
Vice President: Vacant
Junior Vice President: Vacant
Secretary: Jackie Grundy
Treasurer: Philip Pridmore
Fixture Secretary: Jill Preston
County Rep: Philip Pridmore
Club Captain: Keith Price

Committee Members:
,
 Alan Hind, Caroline Forsyth, Duncan Stewart, Christine Weightman, Paula Rainey

Safeguarding Officer: Vic Emmerson - Email:
[email protected]
CLUB HISTORY - THE FIRST ONE HUNDRED YEARS
The earliest record of a bowling match involving Keswick is before the opening of the park. On the 5th August 1876 Keswick St. Johns played at Workington beating them by 9 shots, the first time Workington had been beaten on their home green. Three weeks earlier Keswick had won at home by 43 shots, drawing a comment from one of the Workington players that the green was more suitable for catching eels than bowling!
 
Fitz Park was opened in 1882 and although it is assumed that two bowling greens were laid there is no documentary evidence of this. The Greta Side green is the original and is now the public green; whilst the number 1 green was relaid in 1929. There were two separate clubs in the Park, Fitz Park No 1 Club and Greta Side, both being admitted to the Cumbria Bowling Association in 1930.
 
During the post war years the two clubs carried on separately, playing in the Penrith and District League, and each had a membership of over 50 during the 1950’s. Rivalry between them was highlighted when No 1 Club won the County Cup in 1959, only the second year of that competition. Not to be outdone, Greta Side were victorious the following year.
 
By the late 1960’s the membership of both clubs had dwindled to around 25 each. As a sign of the times, the AGM of No 1 Club in 1970 was attended by seven members. In in 1972 a single club was formed, the Fitz Park Bowling Club, with a newly drawn up constitution in 1973.
 
About fifty years ago, H. Tower’s rink of W.L. Martin, T.R. Hodgson and K. Martin had considerable success in the National and Northern Counties Fours. In 1947 Sir Edward Hodgson was President of English Bowling Association and in the period up to i960 club members had considerable success in County and National Championships, particularly G. Robinson. About a dozen were regular County players and the Club won the Penrith and District League eight years in succession and nine times in all.
 
The success occurred in spite of the condition of the green and in 1955 it was described as being in a ‘poor state’ and a Green Fund was proposed to try and remedy this. Also the Bower was extended increasing the size by 16’6” at a cost of £37. 7s 4d. In 1958 electricity was installed at a cost of £8.15s od
 
With the decline in membership in the 1960s there was no league programme, only internal Club competitions and a few friendlies against touring sides. In 1968 the Club had too few members to enter the County Cup Competition. However with the amalgamation of the two clubs membership improved and in 1974 the club joined the West Cumbria Bowls League at its inception and has remained in it ever since. Re-entry to the County Cup was made in 1973 and there were occasional successes in the County Competitions thereafter. Again the Bower was extended and reopened in 1980, with new toilet accommodation being added in 1982 ready for the Centenary celebrations in that year. Also in 1982 the Club joined the Eden Valley League giving additional competitive play.
Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.
  • Home
  • About
  • Gallery
  • Events
  • Match Reports
  • ARCHIVE